Holiday breaks are coming up, which means it’s a great time to get your wisdom teeth out. Wisdom teeth extractions don’t have to be scary or require a lot of downtime — you can quickly and safely be back to enjoying your time off by following some simple but important DOs and DON’Ts:
Before your wisdom teeth extraction:
- DO plan ahead. Go grocery shopping for soft, easy-to-chew foods and cold drinks. Have your favorite books on hand or queue up a movie you’ve been wanting to see for a quiet activity while you recover.
- DON’T make any important plans or commitments for at least 24 hours following your appointment.
- DO wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing to your appointment. Sleeves need to be able to roll up easily.
- DON’T wear contact lenses, jewelry, fingernail polish, or dentures to your appointment.
- DO find a responsible adult to accompany you to the office and drive you home.
- DON’T eat or drink anything for 6 to 8 hours prior to your appointment. This includes water.
- DO ask questions before your procedure if you have any. We are here to help!
After your wisdom teeth extraction:
- DO keep your fingers and tongue away from the surgical area as it heals.
- DON’T rinse or spit for 24 hours following surgery.
- DO use a warm saltwater rinse after the first post-operative day.
- DON’T forget to use ice packs on the sides of your face for the first 48 hours.
- DO drink plenty of fluids during your recovery.
- DON’T use a straw to drink fluids.
- DO eat foods that are soft and easy to chew.
- DON’T eat foods that are hard, chewy, or could get stuck in your teeth, such as popcorn, nuts, and seeds.
- DO use warm, moist heat on the sides of your face if your jaw muscles become stiff.
- DON’T drive a vehicle or operate any heavy machinery for 24 hours after undergoing anesthesia.
- DO follow all pre- and post-operative instructions as provided to you by your doctor.
- DON’T hesitate to call if you have any questions or concerns about your recovery.
If you come to Oral Surgery Services, we will provide you with all pre- and post-operative instructions to ensure a smooth recovery and healthy outcome. We care about you and want you to have the best possible experience. If you have any questions or concerns before or after your procedure, please feel free to give us a call.